Okay! I admit it, I am a severe Chocolate Lover. I don’t go quite to addict, because I have promised myself I am going to lose weight and chocolate is off limits – lots at a time anyway. Today I decided it was time for some chocolate and I needed some tea, so what better way to ease the pain but to make scones with chocolate. UUUhhhhh!!!! So off to the cookbooks, teabooks, sconebooks for the right recipe.
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375
- In bowl whisk cream, egg, and vanilla together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix dry ingredients. Cut butter pieces into dry mix to resemble crumbs. (And, as usual, I used my processor. Much easier.) Add chocolate. Add cream mixture and process until dough comes together. If too dry add a tad of cream.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured surface and knead a few times. If you don’t want the white flour on the scones, dust surface with chocolate powder. Shape dough into a 7″ circle. (I actually made two 6″ circles, but they were not as tall when baked.) Cut into 8 wedges with sharp knife. Brush tops with a mix of 1 beaten egg and 1T milk.
- Bake 15 minutes until firm on edges and soft in center. Inserted toothpick should come out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- Enjoy with a little clotted cream or lightly whipped cream.
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup AP flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup (5T) cold unsalted butter, in pieces
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chunks/chips
1/3 cup white chocolate chunks/chips (I made my own – extra chunky!)
Well, that solved my chocolate needs!!!
Let me know how you like them.